When it comes to spiritual warfare, we want to avoid extremes. We don’t want to blame everything on the devil and his cohorts, because sometimes the battle is within our own hearts (Rom 6). But we don’t want to ignore or make light of the real battle against “spiritual powers” of darkness either (Eph 6:12).
The key is finding out exactly what the Scriptures teach, and then laying hold of the Scriptures that will help us win our battles.
Some people foolishly use the name of the Lord like a magic charm or incantation. It might surprise them to know we’re never taught in Scripture to rebuke or cast out Satan or demons. That is the Lord’s work (Matt 8:28-34). Even the archangel Michael refrained from rebuking the enemy. He said, “The Lord rebuke you” (Jude 9).
Remember, even speaking to Satan got Eve in trouble (Gen 3:1-5). We are simply exhorted to resist or stand firmly against the enemy and he will flee (Jas 4:7).
Spiritual warfare involves conflict with our sinful world (1 John 2:15-17), our sinful flesh (Gal 5:15-16), and our enemy, the devil (2 Thes 2:4). Here are some Scriptures that can help us be valiant and victorious.
Photo credit: ©Thinkstock/Viktor_Gladkov
1. Know the Overcomer: John 16:33
Slide 1 of 10
2. Know the Enemy: 2 Corinthians 2:11
Slide 2 of 10
3. Get Dressed for Battle: Ephesians 6:11
Slide 3 of 10
4. Keep Your Sword Sharp: Ephesians 6:17b
Slide 4 of 10
5. Obey Your Commander: Luke 1:38
Slide 5 of 10
6. Be Alert to Danger: Matthew 26:41
Slide 6 of 10
7. Guard Your Heart: Proverbs 4:23
Slide 7 of 10
8. Refuse to Compromise: Ephesians 4:27
Slide 8 of 10
9. Do Battle Together: Galatians 6:2
Slide 9 of 10
10. Celebrate Your Victories: 1 Corinthians 15:57
Slide 10 of 10